December 15, 2008

Our pioneer Christmas

Last year, amist all the lavish gifts and crumpled wrapping paper, I declared this year to be a Little House Christmas. I told them that they would only receive what would fit into their stockings--just like Mary and Laura.
This year they reminded me of what I said, except they wanted a tree just like the Ingalls may have had.
So we picked a tree from the woods (okay, really it come from Lowes, but that's near the woods of our house...) and strung some popcorn

with cranberries (that could have come from our backyard, if we had any).

The girls enjoyed this project so much that they even helped clean up. Mabry even asked if she could do it again because it made her "behave," she said.
I think I'd behave too if Santa was coming next week. :)

2 comments:

Merritt Pace said...

Melinda-
I love it!!!! Please tell your girls that the Little House books were my favorites growing up. Your girls were precious in the Christmas Pageant! I know that it was a lot of work for your family, but I heard so many wonderful things! Merry Christmas!
~Merritt

Mrs. Darling said...

Its nice to go back to the old way of doing things sometimes although I wouldnt want to live a little house day every day. I did that as a kid and Im tired of it. LOL

Your tree looks totally like an old fashioned tree. Good job.