April 20, 2009

It's a miracle!

Recently we had two mornings of dentist's appointments back to back. I can easily give up one day without math, but two was a little too much (more than 24 hours without number crunching overly softens my kids' brains). Anyway, I tried something I have only heard about--letting students do homework in a waiting room. I don't normally bring work because my girls are terribly distracted by the surroundings, but this time it worked! I only had to remind them roughly 487 times instead of the usual 21,374+ times to focus...but their lesson was done by the time Cayli was finished with her dentist. This never would have worked before; now that the girls are finishing 2nd grade and growing some mental maturity, things are beginning to mellow around here.

No comments: