August 8, 2013

Have Litmus Paper, Will Test

It's been awhile since we had a hands-on science experiment. While reading through The Saturdays by Elizabeth Enright, two random descriptions popped out at me:
  • The characters' bathroom doubled as a science lab
  • The 6-year-old had busted a window when throwing a bottle of Milk of Magnesia
I guess I had science on my mind for either of those clues to inspire action...I needed to do something.


So I ordered litmus paper strips.

And I bought a variety of fruit.


I think they have tested every liquid in the house by now!

Milk of Magnesia isn't something we have on hand, but we did discuss that it was an original medication to relieve an upset stomach. We did have antacid tablets in the back of our medicine cabinet, so once we tested for an acid, we tried to neutralize it. 

I think neutralizing was the most fun since it involved crushing up the antacid tablets and mixing with the fruit juices.

This year I didn't choose a specific science curriculum so that we can experience it naturally through whatever books we read together as a family or through questions that come up during family discussions. So far it has worked well for us.




No comments: