January 12, 2009

A church girl's resolution

Confession time: I've been in church all my life, but have never read the Bible cover to cover. I've probably read the entire Bible, but just in little bits, never methodical.
Until this year.
I've resolved to read every single word of God this year since I've found a translation that I enjoy reading: New Living Translation, full of richness and beauty.



I'm using this pocket size The One Year Bible as my guide. It's small enough that I can carry it in my bag and pick it up when I have a few minutes while the girls are at dance or drama class.

It's broken down by day, with a portion for the Old Testament, a passage from the New Testament, a bit of Psalms and a smidgen of Proverbs...all in one day. So I'm not flipping from here to there and back again to get a full day's reading. It's all right there in one place.

I typically read the OT part in the morning when I wake up and the NT portion at night before going to bed. My well-churched brain was having a hard time flipping from "God created" to "Jesus walked" all in the same 5 minutes, so I decided to break up the readings throughout the day.

I'm not an overly structured individual and have tried to do this many times in the past. But I'm getting too old to make excuses for not reading the Bible. So in a moment of eagerness--and a fear of failure--I started reading this Bible in November. And though I've missed a few days here and there, I'm way ahead of schedule, because once I start to read one passage, I don't want to wait until the next day to finish it. So I keep going.

And I hope that even if you've tried to read the entire Scripture in the past, that you'll continue reading or try again. Because, take it from me, your Sunday School teacher was right: it really is the living, breathing word of God!

No comments: