January 16, 2008

Tongue tied no longer

Micah had his frenulum clipped this morning. Poor kid couldn't even stick his tongue out--which isn't so bad now, but I know for sure he'd want to use it in retaliation toward a sister one day!

All the males in my family have had this clipping done, but never in a hospital. Apparently modern medicine and insurance practices now complicate even the simpliest procedures. So off we headed to the hospital at 6:30 this morning.

But we were back in the car by 8:30. I was only separated from him for about 10 minutes.

He came home ate two jars of food and now is sleeping peacefully. Thank you for your prayers.

A few more words...
Now before you read the rest of this, you need to know that even with four kiddos, I can count on one hand, with a finger left over, of the amount of antibiotics my kids have taken. Needless to say, we've been blessed to not have to visit the doc very often. So any sort of medical procedure, even the tiniest one, freaks me out. Some of my friends have had many experiences with hospital for tubes and other surgical procedures and handle these sorts of things quite well (at least on the outside); I was, well, overly concerned and basically let God know how scared I was for my baby. :)

Anyway, I had 3 prayer requests this morning:

  • That the hospital staff would move as quickly as possible so that we would not have a long wait-time

  • That Micah would not feel hunger, even though he couldn't eat anything after midnight

  • That Micah would only experience minimum discomfort

All three of my requests were answered in amazing ways! I was told by the doc's office to be at the hospital at 7am to fill out all the pre-op forms and surgery would start at 8:30. So I was basically dreading this wait with a hungry baby. Well, when we arrived at 6:50am, I was told I was LATE and they were waiting on me! The hospital was told that I would be getting there at 6:30, so they quickly moved through all the paperwork to get me to where I should be on time. While I was signing my name and answering questions about his non-existent allergies and medications, the nurses and staff kept him entertained. He never once cried! He was so happy that he never thought about being hungry.

Finally they came to get him, I hugged and kissed my smiling boy, and a nurse showed me the out-patient waiting area. Roughly 5 minutes later, the doc walked in and told me how well my boy did! If needed, give him Tylenol for pain, she said. Well so far, you'd never known he had anything done to him. He's been as happy as a lark!

Then, singing the praises of God and his care for the small things in life, I took the girls to Chick-fil-A for lunch. When we got to the drive-thru window the lady handed my a receipt and told me that the car in front of us had paid our ticket! Wow! Now how often does that actually happen!? The driver did leave a card with our receipt that said, "God loves you!" with a bright smiley face. And I'm truly all smiles this afternoon because my God responded to all my requests AND still chose to bless me through a complete stranger! Amazing!

I was so caught off guard by the kindness of someone who had no idea who I was or what had transpired this morning, that I just accepted the gift, took my food and drove away. I'll definitely return the favor soon. But right now I'm simply rejoicing over the undeserved, loving care of my God. :)

Here he is. He just finished some sweet potatoes (his favorite) and is enjoying moving around his newly freed tongue.

No comments: