September 26, 2007

1 little, 2 little, 3 little Indians...

We built a tepee!

This is what I love about homeschooling! We all get to learn! The girls and I have been reading through the American Girl Kaya series. I hadn't officially planned this but we're in the throes of a Native American study. We began a few weeks ago when we read Roxaboxen and inadvertently learned about the Hopi Indians from Arizona that live in pueblos. I picked up Kaya at the library last week and so we've continued our study upwards to the northwest. In the next few weeks we'll study the Cherokee and maybe even take a drive through the SC/NC mountains. We'll eventually conclude our unit by reading about the indians of the northeast around Thanksgiving time. But until then we'll be hanging out in our tepee!


Our family chief found most of these trees laying in the woods. We used our dog's leash to tie them together. Since we don't have tulle mats or deerskin, we used fleece blankets, a quilt and some old-fashioned clothespins. Not very authentic, I know; but fun, nonetheless!


Hopefully we'll make some indian costumes, a la Kaya, soon.

2 comments:

Tracie said...

Cute!! My kids will want to do one now. Thanks!!! Hey we made some quick--almost no sew-- outfits for a party in our favorite town!! Quickly glued feathers around the neck and bottom.
Tracie

April said...

Oh my goodness. This is the coolest thing!! My kids would love to play in something like that. I wonder how I can talk my husband into something like this!!hmmmmm