November 2, 2007

Oh, yeah, Thanksgiving's coming soon!

My kids think this is the funniest picture! We first saw it in our church's children's newsletter for this month. After a few laughs, I realized that the '07 is coming to a close and our first big holiday is quickly approaching.


So as of Nov. 1, we've shifted gears. I know we were finally delving into our long-awaited study on explorers. But last night, my child asked me a question about Thanksgiving.



"Mom, what's Thanksgiving?"


What's Thanksgiving?????, I asked myself. What do you mean, what is Thanksgiving?

So it's official. I'm a failure as a mother. My kids don't know about Thanksgiving. How un-American is that?


But it's all soon to be rememdied! We are going to study the first Thanksgiving for the rest of the month. My kids are so excited! They know just enough to ask lots of good questions. Thanks to all the awesome books we've read every year about this time, they actually knew more than I thought. I think the question was asked because the girls are finally old enough to realize that this is a very important occasion and superceeds just Pilgrims and Indians--it's all about being thankful to God for all the blessings he bestows.


The first thing we did this morning was put up a Thanksgiving Tree. I just cut open a paper grocery bag into a freehanded tree form. Every day the girls will write one thing they are thankful for on a paper leaf. They helped me cut out many of the leaves this morning--that's my thankful sentiment for the day! We did this a few years ago, but now the girls are writing and thinking all on their own...and that's a big blessing!


Here's our bare tree:


By the end of the month, it will overflow with blessings! Here's what the girls were thankful for today:



  • CG: our house

  • K: Thanksgiving

  • M: Mommy and Daddy


Oh, yeah, here's a sweet picture I took this morning of M and K looking through one of our new library books, Waltz of the Scarecrows.

No comments: